What are the differences between web part page gallery, site gallery,Virtual server galleryand online gallery?
Ans: Web Part Page Gallery is the default gallery that comes installed with SharePoint. Site Gallery isspecific to one site. Virtual Server gallery is specific to that virtual server and online gallery aredownloadable web parts from Microsoft.
Q. What is the difference between a site and a web?
Ans: A site in sharePoint is a site collection. It is an object of SPsite class in sharepoint. While a Web is simply a blank site within that site collection. Web is a Part of SPweb class, thus represents a site within a site collection.
Q. When to use Diffrent Site Collections?
Ans. An Individual Site collection offers following :
For the Users:
Dedicated Recycle bins
Dedicated usage Reports
Distributed administration (site collection administrators)
Dedicated search scopes, keywords, and best-bets
Custom feature deployments
Dedicated language translation maintenance
Dedicated galleries for web parts, master pages, content types, site columns, site templates, and list templates
Dedicated shared libraries, such as site collection images and site collection styles
Dedicated real estate (Self Containment)
For the IT Administrators:
Site quota templates
Database maintenance options
Backup / Restore abilities
InfoPath forms services global template targeting
Q. why to use different site collections
1. Site quotas is one of the reasons. The issue is the recycle bin is based on site collections and the quota for a site collection. If everyone shares a site collection, then they share the recycle bins storage size.
2. Delegated Security and distributed administration is the next big thing. For eg, you have a IT department that doesn't know who should be able to see what content, besides how it should be organized. This is the job of the content owners and users. SharePoint site collections offers IT the ability to create a site collection for a project, team, department, document, or whatever the needs are, then assign an owner and hand it off to them.
3. In addition to these two points is the need to separate the content between databases.
Q. What is Authentication and Authorization.
Ans : An authentication system is how you identify yourself to the . The goal behind an authentication system is to verify that the user is actually who they say they are.
Once the system knows who the user is through authentication, authorization is how the system decides what the user can do.
Q. What are Security methods(Authentication methods) available in sharepoint 2007.
Ans : Out of the box", SharePoint 2007 supports nine authentication methods. NTLM (short for NT Lan Manager, which is simply the Windows authentication that everyone is familiar with) and Kerberos (also a Windows "standard" authentication) are offered during installation, but I recommend to get started with NTLM, as Kerberos requires "special configuration by the domain administrator", while NTLM works without further hassle.
Q. Can you name some of the tools used for SharePoint Administration?
Ans. Some of the tools Used for SharePoint Administration are
* Axceler's ControlPoint (Version : ContolPoint 3.5 )
Description : ControlPoint 3.5 helps enterprises adopt and embrace microsoft sharepoint more than ever before. ControlPoint 3.5 boasts powerful new capabilities that give enterprises more control over their configuration and deployment of SharePoint while strengthening their SharePoint security.
* DocAve (Latest Version : DocAve Software Platform v5.3)
Description : DocAve Software Platform v5.3, is considered the industry's most comprehensive software solution for SharePoint backup and recovery, administration, archiving, auditing, replication, reporting, compliance, and migration.
* Nintex Workflow(USed for Workflow )
Description : Nintex Workflow 2007 enables organizations to build complex workflow processes quickly and easily using a web browser interface. Nintex Workflow 2007 empowers users across the organization to automate business processes, review workflow activities and automate common SharePoint administrative tasks.
Q. Can a web application use few shared services like search,audience from ssp?
Ans. No, it has to use all the shared services in that SSP.